Pages

November 4, 2015

I Bought a Jacket Like Yours

It means I want to erase the comfortable things.
I want to erase the fleece blanket that echoes your preference
One we happen to share but one that endlessly reminds me
Of what you are likely to be doing on a Sunday afternoon or Monday evening
(I still can't get Thursday through my brain, which is a good thing)
I want to erase the smell of rain on leaves
The colors: orange, yellow, puce - I remember you holding me -
October -
It's our month in so many ways.
Not July
Not August
Not February or March or April...
Though I recall bursts of red and blue fireworks and sweaty hand holding over Shakespeare and your breath on my neck and your gray jacket that smelled like all your smells and how you held my face when you kissed me and I watched the tears fall - the ones you can't remember...  and I thought I knew you.

I thought...

I knew you

No comments: