Pages

May 24, 2012

Judgement

You take one look at my too-big pants
My non-traditional hair-style
My gait
My messy children
And you decide who I am in the blink of an eye...

You decide my feet don't belong on your expensive coffee-table.
My eyes don't belong gazing into your pond with too-big fish who are unhappy in their horrible habitat
The bumps and bonks on the wall in the night are unwelcome in your quiet palace with marble steps and walls

The maid's name is Maria.
She is a small woman with a timid smile and warm chocolate eyes that remind me of my daughter
And Fast Food Nation in one fail swoop
And when I tell her she can skip our room today it's as though she is afraid I will disappear in front of her.

I count out ones to leave a big tip so she has some extra money to feed her family
If you don't believe it, you're fooling yourself
Because women don't dream of cleaning up crumbs and blood and sperm and saliva from other people's bedrooms.

2 comments:

Lisa A. Williams said...

There is such truth in this poem. It is beautifully written.

Missy said...

Thank you so much, Lisa! It means so much that you have found this blog and the poetry touches you!