Pages

June 8, 2018

Not A Lioness?

I want you to be a lioness
Fierce
Fearless
Prowling
Leader

I want you to jump from cliffs into raging waters
Dive to the bottom
Strong swimming along with the waves
Drawing deep breaths at the surface
Screaming up and waving to friends at the top
You were the first one: you dared to dive

I want you to sing at the top of your lungs on massive road trips
Grip thick ropes of vine in the jungle
Break jawbones if you need to
And carry big sticks through back alleys.

I want you to hold hands with your friends
And kiss their mouths
And water plants in your own blazing garden
And sleep under the night sky by yourself in the desert
Making friends with coyotes

I want you to get on a plane
I want you to pay your own way
Pave your own way
Try exotic foods
Paint pictures with your toes
Ride whales
Swim with dolphins
Spread your wings wide over canyons
Howl at the moon like the warrior goddess you were born to be

And I...

There are days I cannot move from my stool at the counter

Days where all I can do is move the laundry
From washer to dryer
Small motions
Monotonous

Days where sitting on the porch is the only vacation

Days where I cry in the kitchen over past lovers

Days where I am invited out and instead I stay in doing nothing

I stare at screens and beg you not to

How will you
Become Yourself
Without Myself Becoming Me?

No comments: